Have been doing migration of ADFS from W2008R2 to W2012R2 in recent days. There are couple of ways to do it but I like migration most because it can be done without any user impact.
Migration process at high level:
- Export, record, and backup the following configuration data in your existing AD FS farm.
- Create a Windows Server 2012 R2 federation server farm and install additional servers to farm.
- Import the original configuration data into this new Windows Server 2012 R2 AD FS farm.
- Configure and customize the AD FS sign-in pages after migration.
- Test new ADFS farm functionality from a PC connected to the domain, edit the hosts file and add the IP address of the AD FS 3.0 server that points to the new AD FS 3.0 Farm
- Test SSO to relaying party applications
- Do production cutover By updating external and internal DNS Records to point new farm
Exellent guidance can be found from here:
Kelsey Epps – Office365 MVP blog – http://office365support.ca/migrating-ad-fs-2-0-to-ad-fs-3-0-for-office365-single-sign-on-2/
Migrate to W2012 R2 – https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn486815.aspx
Migrate to W2012 – https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj648428.aspx